Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Llama .380 Auto (9mm Kurz) A1 stamp, factory engraved

















I've got my Grandfather's Llama (after the Colt 1911 patent) in .380 Auto. Apparently the Germans call it a 9mm Kurz (which I believe means "short"). As near as I can determine this was made in the mid 1950s, (maybe 1955) as indicated by one of the three "Proof Marks" directly above the shotgun shell. The third of those three marks is "A1" which is apparently indicative of the first run of this weapon after some modifications.  (http://www.ehow.com/how_7166226_do-_380-pistol-serial-number_.html).

Note the lanyard ring on the rear of the butt where the magazine is inserted. This is apparently a variable feature on these weapons. I've not seen another of the heavily engraved .380s with this ring.

Also note that the top of the left side grip (probably plastic not mother of pearl) is a trapazoid (except for a small scallop cut for the slide lock lever). Many of  Llamas from this era had a thumb groove with raised lip on the left side of the weapon.

Another thing that's a little more difficult to detect unless you've got the original JPG is that the second proof mark (supposedly the one that records the date the gun was actually "proofed" or fired for effect) is duplicated about 1/4" above the thumb lever safety inlet at the rear of the slide, just forward of the hammer. I've not seen this particular feature on any other engraved Llama.

I've scanned the web fairly thoroughly and so far have not found any disassembly instructions other than "hey guy, it looks like a Colt 1911, so take it apart that way." If it comes to that, I'll have my friend Bill the gunsmith right next to me so he can catch the parts that go winging across the shop when I make a mis-move.

It's a great shooter.  I put several boxes through it in the early 1970s before my Grandfather died. The gun went to my Dad then, and he and I put a couple of more boxes through over the years since then. When Dad died this year, he left the Llama to me.

I don't recall a single problem with the darned thing -- it cycled two clips through today with absolutely no problems. Sweet!

Owned by three generations and shot by four generations -- this Llama is a good piece.


1 comment:

Gulf Coast Freebird said...

I don't know what Letter yours is, but by looking at the Pistol I would guess yours to be a letter Y for 1953. Due to the fact it's got the Lanyard also and the barrel isn't vented.. In 1954 they dropped the lanyard and added a vented rib..
I have one identical to it with the Y stamp for 1953